Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Self-Worth

This is the post where I jump on the Bruce Jenner blogging bandwagon. Though, it's really not. It's just what inspired this post.

I'm not here to talk about what he did being wrong or right or whatever, though if you know me at all I'm sure you can figure out where I stand on that. That's not the point though.

I'm more disturbed on how this is affecting the people who see it and their reactions. I've seen a lot of "She's hot" and the like. And of course everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

However, I think there needs to be a wake-up call here: IT'S NOT REAL!

Okay, I said it. Debate everything else, but can we all agree on this? It's fake. The doctors who did the surgeries will tell you it ain't "all natural." It's not organic, it's not BPA-free (that I'm aware of), it's not non-GMO. K? K.

And this is where it gets dicey. I see so many women, comparing themselves to this person. Saying that he/she's hot, wishing they looked like him/her, dreaming about how they're going to look in their 60s, and shaming themselves for not looking the same.

We may as well all compare ourselves to Jessica Rabbit. I mean, she ain't real either. And she's all (by the world's standards anyway) gorgeous, sexy, put together, desirable, etc.

Why are we doing this? Why, oh why? We're comparing ourselves to people who have spent a bazillion dollars (or have a great animator) to make themselves Barbie. I have two daughters- I take this to heart like any mama bear. I don't want them to grow up confused and worried. I don't want them to think that's how they have to look and act to live life well.

If we're going to compare, why not compare our compassion? Our forgiveness? Our responsibility? Our work ethic? Our love? Our self-control? Our joyfulness? Our intellect? Our talents?

I still don't think we should go around comparing any of those things to each other. Comparing never goes well. But, being humans, we're bound to compare. So, if we are guaranteed comparers (yep, just made that word up), these would at least challenge ourselves to better ourselves on something more than a physical level.

1 Timothy 4:8 "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come."

Can I just suggest a challenge here? How about we don't compare ourselves to each other, regardless of how "amazing" we look from the outside or how we seem to be uber-successful and able to "do it all" flawlessly. Quick note: I said "seem." Please tuck that away. No one is truly able to look perfect, act perfect, think perfect, or do perfect.

Can we compare ourselves to the only perfect person? Someone who's not on the cover of a magazine?

Can we find our self-worth in Jesus? Instead of seeing the acne, the wrinkles, the gray hair, the sags, the failures, the confusion, and the mistakes- can we see the person Jesus made? Can we see the masterpiece He created? That word, masterpiece, is translated elsewhere as workmanship:

Psalm 139:14 "Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous- how well I know it!"

Friends, He thinks you are MARVELOUS! He made you marvelous! In Greek "poiēma" means a thing that is made. God made you, specifically YOU!

I went ahead and did a search on Bible verses that show what God thinks of you. I pray you don't doubt what He sees in you any longer!

Psalm 139:17 "How precious are your thoughts toward me, O God. They cannot be numbered!" That word precious means "prized, esteemed, costly, highly valued." You, my friend, are highly valued.

Jeremiah 29:11 '"For I know the plans I have for you,' says the LORD. 'They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.'" Good, future, hope. Hold on to those words.

Zephaniah 3:17b "He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.” He delights in you! He's so stinking happy when He sees you, He may just as well be giddy!

1 John 3:16a "We know what real love is because Jesus gave up His life for us." Are we all agreed that someone who sacrifices their life for ours truly loves us? No matter what? Despite our shortcomings? Regardless of how we've hurt them?

Someone needs to hear this: He didn't make a mistake with you.

Friend, we need to find our joy, our self-esteem, our self-worth in the One who laid down His life for us. Who took our punishment so we could be free. He loves you like no person ever could, or ever will. His love is endless, boundless, regardless of our actions. All we have to do is accept it.

Look in that mirror. He made a masterpiece. And He done good.


No comments:

Post a Comment